Colorado is known for its scenic geography and many animal species. While visitors and residents alike are attracted to the state to see the many different animals that call Colorado home, there are some animals you don’t want to take up residence around or in your home. Birds, in particular, are one animal that can become a problem if not removed. Although most birds are not considered a nuisance, species like pigeons, European Starlings, House Sparrows, Cliff Swallows, Barn Swallows, and Northern Flickers are all species that can cause issues if not taken care of. If you are dealing with any of these birds and are looking for bird removal service near me, we hope you will consider working with Northern Colorado Pest and Wildlife Control. Let us dive into some ways we can help you deal with nuisance birds.
Bird removal service near me: methods for removing unwanted birds from your Northern Colorado home
If you have found yourself looking into bird removal service near me, you probably are excited to learn about some of the ways to get rid of unwanted birds. One methodology that can be used to get rid of a bird infestation is exclusion. What is exclusion? Bird exclusion typically involves building barriers to areas that you want to keep birds out of so that they will not return to their nest there. This methodology is usually most effective for nests that are already on your property.
Another option when you are looking for a bird removal service near me is to repel the birds away from your property. Typically, when we think of types of repellents, there are three options: visual, noise-based, and oral. A visual repellent can include streamers and flash tape for birds such as Northern Flickers, for instance. A noise-based repellent generally makes noise through squawking to scare off unwanted birds. Lastly, an oral repellent generally acts like poison for birds. We generally do not advise noise-based or visual repellents due to their lack of effectiveness over the long-term.
The last type of method that we recommend when you are searching for a humane bird removal service near me is trapping. While trapping is generally always recommended, it can be difficult due to some Colorado state laws and federal laws. Pigeons, starlings, and sparrows can all be removed through trapping, but if you are looking to remove Northern Flickers, you may need to fill out a depredation permit to do so first. If you have any questions on how to do this, Northern Colorado Pest and Wildlife Control can assist you.
We understand that it can be challenging to find the right bird removal service near me that enables you to remove birds successfully and humanely. We would love to be able to assist you in taking care of your nuisance birds. If you are interested in hearing about more ways to get rid of these unwanted birds, keep reading for 12 more humane treatments below.
- Bird Feeders: Set up bird feeders in a separate area of your yard to attract the birds away from the problematic zones. Providing them with an alternative food source can reduce their interest in your home.
- Scarecrows: Install scarecrows, which are human-like figures, in your garden or near areas where birds are causing trouble. The presence of scarecrows can create the illusion of a human presence, deterring birds from landing or nesting.
- Shiny Objects: Hang reflective objects like old CDs, aluminum foil strips, or shiny tape near the problem areas. When the sunlight hits these items, they produce flashes and reflections that can startle and discourage birds.
- Predator Decoys: Place decoys resembling natural bird predators, such as owls or hawks, in the vicinity. Birds often perceive these decoys as a threat and are less likely to approach the area.
- Motion-Activated Lights: Install motion-activated lights in locations where birds tend to congregate. The sudden illumination can surprise the birds and deter them from returning.
- Noisy Distractions: Create noise disturbances to discourage birds. You can play recorded predator calls intermittently or hang wind chimes that produce sounds that make the area less inviting for birds.
- Bird Netting Alternatives: Instead of traditional bird netting, consider using mesh or fabric covers that allow some light to penetrate while still discouraging birds from roosting or nesting.
- Physical Barriers: Use physical barriers such as hanging old CDs or nylon fishing line to obstruct access to problem areas. Birds find it difficult to land or roost on these uneven surfaces.
- Change Landscaping: Modify your landscaping to make it less appealing to birds. This could involve removing dense shrubbery or trees that provide nesting sites, thus reducing their attraction to your property.
- Food Source Management: Secure or remove potential food sources that attract birds, such as uncovered trash cans or open pet food dishes. By eliminating readily available food, you reduce the incentive for birds to frequent your property.
- Repellent Plants: Plant species that birds find unappealing, such as bushes with prickly thorns or thorny plants, in your garden. These natural barriers can discourage birds from roosting or nesting in those areas.
- Consult a Professional: If your bird problem persists despite your efforts, consider seeking advice from a local wildlife expert or bird control specialist. They can provide additional guidance on effective and humane solutions tailored to your specific situation.
Remember, patience is key when implementing these methods, as it may take some time for birds to change their behavior. Always ensure that you comply with local wildlife regulations and guidelines while addressing bird-related issues.
Curious about what our recent customers are saying about Northern Colorado Pest and Wildlife Control? Check out this 5-star review from our customer, Marcia Teachout.
“Excellent. Everyone working at this business is thoughtful, kind, and has a desire to truly help. I had a serious problem with barn swallows. They installed a safety net to prevent nesting, and was not harmful to the birds.”
Northern Colorado Pest and Wildlife Control provides fast and courteous responses to our customers’ needs. We specialize in a wide range of pest control and wildlife control services. We serve Denver: north to Wyoming, including Fort Collins, Eaton, Greeley, Evans, Windsor, Loveland, LaSalle, Johnstown, Milliken, Berthoud, Longmont, Boulder, Louisville, Superior, Lafayette, Thornton, Lakewood, Golden, Westminster, Denver, Aurora, and surrounding cities.